Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Why I Write

This is a question that’s always asked of writers: Why do you write?


When I was little, I was a lover of movies (still am) and I always thought that I would make movies when I grew up. Then, I read my first chapter book in grade school and when I realized it was like a movie playing in my head, I realized that’s what I wanted to do. What I loved about movies so much were the stories. The characters. The conflicts. And so on.

I’ve been writing ever since I was little. I love to tell stories. I love creating characters and places. I like to present problems and see how my characters react to them. It doesn’t matter how ordinary that problem may be, every character reacts differently to them. It’s exciting, especially when a character or a story points me to a different direction than I was expecting.

Writing for me is a creative outlet, too. I don’t know where I would be if I didn’t have writing. And quite honestly, I don’t even want to think about it. Writing has been there for me during very dark times. It was my way to vent and deal with life at times. If something really angered me, I’d write about it. Same goes for if something made me sad.

I feel bad for those who aren’t as lucky to have an outlet like that. It really can be a lifesaver. And I know I am a writer, regardless of how many books or stories I may have out there or how much money I make from it.

I am a writer because even if nobody read my works, I’d still write. Because I love it, and I always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment